PCA Choice Services
Who we serve:
Arc Northland is enrolled with the State of Minnesota as a PCA Choice provider agency. We can serve individuals with any type of disability who are on Medical Assistance (MA) insurance.
We believe both that parents are the experts on their own children and individuals are experts on their own disabilities, and we will strive to provide PCA services that are as individual and family-driven as possible.
Who is eligible:
To be eligible for PCA services through Arc Northland, you or your family member must:
- Be eligible for or receiving Medical Assistance (MA) insurance
- Be able to make decisions about your own care or have a responsible party who can assist in directing cares and services
- Have a screening assessment done by a public health nurse
What are PCA services?
Personal Care Assistant (PCA) services help people with disabilities of all ages to live independently in the community or in their family home by providing assistance with:
- Activities of daily living (e.g. dressing, grooming, bathing, transferring)
- Instrumental activities of daily living (e.g. meal preparation, scheduling appointments, participating in community activities)
- Health-related functions (e.g. tube feedings, special skin care)
- Behavior supervision and intervention (e.g. verbal redirection of behavior that is harmful to self or others)
What is PCA Choice?
Under the PCA Choice option, more responsibility is shifted to the individual or family, and the PCA agency acts as the employer of record. This means that the individual/family is responsible for:
- Finding, hiring/terminating, and training employees
- Supervising and scheduling employees
The PCA Choice agency is responsible for:
- Billing for services
- Paying staff and withholding all taxes
- Conducting a criminal background check on all employees
- Maintaining liability, worker’s compensation, and unemployment insurance
For more information about Arc Northland’s PCA Choice program, please contact Jenny Kempfert at (218) 726-4724.
Printable Forms and Documents:
PCA Time and Activity Documentation
PCA Paid Time Off (PTO) Form
2018 Payroll Calendar
PCA Training and Test link
Career development opportunities effective July 1, 2018
Accessing the Stipend and Enhanced Rate
New Benefits for PCAs